The Field Station of the Department of Ecology IB PAS is located in Szarow by the Spokojna Street 144. The town is situated 30km east of Krakow, on the south-western edge of the Niepolomice Forest. Since 1972 the station’s building (of an area of over 400m2) was leased together with an adjoining garden (0.75ha). In 1978 the building and the garden were bought and now it is the Institute’s property. The first director of the station was Prof. Dr Hab. Jan Greszta and after his leave in 1984 to the Forestry Faculty of the University of Agriculture in Krakow, the management was taken over by Prof. Dr Barbara Godzik who became a head of the Department of Ecology and of the Field Station belonging to the Department (2005), after Prof. K. Grodzinska’s retirement.
Initially, the Field Station of the department of Ecology in Szarow served as a scientific base for the workers who were carrying out research in the Niepolomice Forests and field experiments in the belonging to the station garden. The building was being gradually transformed into the laboratory of the Department of Ecology IB PAN. In 2006-2007 a complete modernization of the building was conducted and as a result the Station gained a lecture hall (approximately for 30 people), office work rooms and two guest rooms. In 2007-2012, a modern pavilion was built of a total area of 900m2 that functioned as a laboratory. It comprised specialist laboratory rooms such as chromatographic laboratory, spectrophotometric analysis laboratory, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen analysis laboratory and others. Warehouses with samples occupy the lowest level in the two buildings.
Over the last 10 years the laboratory has been equipped with a high-quality measuring devices (the most important ones are spectrophotometers and chromatographs) that enabled specialist chemical analysis in the field of eco-toxicology on the global level.
The laboratory can perform the following measurements:
- determine the concentrations of the following metals: cadmium, lead, copper, zinc, iron, nickel, thallium, chromium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium and phosphorus - atomic absorption spectrophotometer Varian 220 FS Zeeman (with internal background correction), Australia. The device is additionally equipped with a graphite box GTA 110, Varian, Australia.
- Determine hardly detectable concentrations of heavy metals (as above) - Varian atomic absorption spectrophotometer 20BQ (with background correction) in combination with graphite tube GT96, Varian, Australia
- Define the basic anion concentrations in water and aqueous extracts (F-, Cl-, NO2-, NO3-, SO42-, Br-, PO43-) - ion chromatograph Dionex ICS 1100, USA
- Determine the concentrations of cations in water and water passageways (ammonia, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, lithium) - ion chromatograph Dionex -100, U.S.
- Determine concentrations of 16 aromatic hydrocarbons and other organic compounds (PAHs) - gradient chromatograph Dionex-500 (USA) with fluorescence detector RF 2000 Dionex
- Chromatographic analysis of organic compounds using a gas chromatograph Varian 3900 with a mass detector equipped with an ion trap turbomolecular pump operating in electron ionization mode of a Varian model Saturn 2100T GC / MS with auto sampler Varian's CP-8410 model.
- Chromatographic analysis of organic compounds (determination of C10 to C40) using a gas chromatograph Varian model 450 with FID flame ionization DEFC 11 and the gas generating station to the FID detector
- Extraction of any components from the soil, plants and other solids - ASE-200, Dionex, USA
- Concentration of the organic extracts in a vacuum evaporator of Labconco RapidVap Vertexer
- Determination of total nitrogen concentrations in soils and plants, and protein - Kjeldahl analyzer 2300 Tecator, Sweden
- Determination of total, organic and inorganic carbon, and LOI - analyzer LECO RC 612
- The study of mercury content in soils and plants - LECO AMA 254 analyzer
- Determination of total sulphur and coal concentrations - LECO analyzer SC144
- Determination of concentrations of ground-level ozone - 3 meters Thermo Environmental Instruments Inc., Model 49 and 49C, USA together with data loggers Campbell, United Kingdom
- Meteorological measurements (13 parameters) - two automatic weather stations Campbell, United Kingdom
- Determination of the fraction of wet precipitation - three automatic rain gauges, Poland.
Apart from the measuring apparatus, the laboratory is also equipped with smaller devices that enable the performance of the basic analysis and preparation of the samples for the chemical analysis, such as:
- Measurement of pH (pH) - Mettler Toledo MP125 pH meter, Switzerland
- Measurement of conductivity - conductivity Elmetron CC311, Poland
- Mixing of solid samples (soil, plants) - Pulse mill Fritsch Pulverisette 14 with replaceable rubbing parts (plastic, agate, steel), Germany and homogenizer of small plant samples Analysette3 Spartan Fritsch, Germany
- Dry mineralization of plant samples - Ströhlein muffle furnace CSF-1100, Germany
- Wet mineralization of plant and soil samples - five Digestion 2020 (20 seats combustion flask 250 ml), furnace in 2020 (40 seats combustion flask 100ml), FOSS-Tecator, Sweden
- Centrifugation and concentration of samples in solutions - Laboratory Centrifuge MPW-340, Poland
- Vacuum centrifugation and evaporation of samples, centrifuge Labconco CentrifugaVap Concentration
- sublimation drying of the frozen substance in a Labconco lyophilizer FreeZone6
- freezing in a SANYO freezer (to a temperature of-86 ° C)
- Shaking of the samples - horizontal shakers, Poland
- Samples weighing: 2 high precision laboratory scales (0.0005 g) WA 36, Poland, 2 ONYX FAWAG scales of 610 and 410, Sartorius laboratory scale CPA1245-OCE (accuracy 0.0001 g) Laboratory scale - Technical Sartorius 3706 (accuracy 0.1 g)
- drying of the samples - laboratory dryer ECOCELL of BMT and Memmert's VNB500 the temperature range 0-250oC
- Concentration of organic extracts to analyze the chromatographs - SPE-12G camera Baker
- Redistillation and deionization of water - redistiller Rel 5, Poland; Deionizer Labconco, USA
- Accurately measuring the volume of samples and reagents - automatic pipette, electronic dispensers
- Dilution - automatic for sample dilution Gilson 402 Dispenser Dilutor-color measurements on the Hach Lange type colorimeter