Dr Elżbieta Worobiec
- Palynological analysis of the Upper Cretaceous, Palaeogene and Neogene ("Tertiary") deposits, mainly from Poland, as well as reconstruction of the Palaeogene and Neogene vegetation and climate based on fossil spore-pollen assemblages.
- Taxonomy of pollen grains from the Polish Neogene.
- Investigations on organic-walled algal microfossils (mainly Zygnemataceae and desmids) from the Neogene deposits and reconstruction of the palaeoenvironment.
Higher education and employment history
- MSc degree (biology) at the Jagiellonian University (1996).
- MSc degree (geology) at the Jagiellonian University (1998).
- Research assistant intern (2000).
- Research assistant (2001).
- PhD degree at the W. Szafer Institute of Botany, PAS (2001).
- Assistant professor at the W. Szafer Institute of Botany, PAS (2001–2002).
- Technical assisstant (senior palaeobotanist) at the W. Szafer Institute of Botany, PAS (2002–2007).
- Assistant professor at the W. Szafer Institute of Botany, PAS (since 2007).
Membership and awards
- Member of the NECLIME (Neogene Climate Evolution in Eurasia) project (since 2003).
- Member of the International Federation of Palynological Societes (2010).
- Hungary (2010) – several-day workshop of the NECLIME working group on the "Taxonomy of Neogene palynomorphs".
- Bulgaria (2012) – several-day workshop within the Joint workshop of the working groups on the "Taxonomy of the Cenozoic macrobotanical record of Eurasia" and on the "Taxonomy of Neogene palynomorphs", Sofia; member of the organizing committee.
- Slovakia (2013) – several-day workshop of the NECLIME working group on the "Taxonomy of Neogene palynomorphs".
- Biodiversity of the Neogene flora and vegetation of the Legnica area based on investigations of macroremains of fossil leaves and palynological analyses of the sediments from "Ruja" lignite deposit (2004–2006); grant no. 2 P04D 027 26; State Committee for Scientific Research in Poland (KBN) – contractor.
- Atlas of pollen and spores of the Polish Neogene, volume 4 – Angiosperms 2 (2008–2011); grant no. N N303 090934; Ministry of Science and Higher Education – contractor.
- CAREER: Exploring the Neogene Plant Record of Global Vegetational and Climatic Changes in eastern North America – Research and Education Program (2008–2014); grant no. 0746105; National Science Foundation CAREER Program, USA – contractor.
- Tertiary karst sinkholes and their deposits in Upper Silesia as archive for palaeoenvironmental reconstructions (2011–2014); grant no. 2011/01/B/ST10/04052; National Science Centre (NCN) – contractor.
- The changing role of bats in seed dispersal and insect consumption on the Island of Jamaica in present and historical times (2011–2014); grant no. 2011/01/B/NZ8/02988; National Science Centre (NCN) – contractor.
- Neogene palynomorphs from Bulgaria and Poland as palaeoenvironmental proxy (2012–2014); Polish-Bulgarian joint research project under the agreement on scientific cooperation between the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia) – coordinator (Polish leader).
- The genesis of the Campanian-Maastrichtian carbonate deposits in a light of a new petrographic studies (since 2017); grant no. 2016/23/D/ST10/01526; National Science Centre (NCN) – contractor.
- Changes of depositional environments in central Poland and Mid-Miocene climatic fluctuations (since 2018); grant no: 2017/27/B/ST10/00001; National Science Centre (NCN) – contractor.
Recent publications (selected)
Halbwachs H., Bässler C., Worobiec E. 2021. Palynomorphs in Baltic, Bitterfeld and Ukrainian ambers: a comparison. Palynology in press. DOI
Widera M., Bechtel A., Chomiak L., Maciaszek P., Słodkowska B., Wachocki R., Worobiec E., Worobiec G., Zieliński T. 2021. Palaeoenvironmental reconstruction of the Konin Basin (central Poland) during lignite accumulation linked to the mid-Miocene climate optimum. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 568: 110307. DOI
Worobiec E., Widera M., Worobiec G., Kurdziel B. 2021. Middle Miocene palynoflora from the Adamów lignite deposit, central Poland. Palynology 45: 59–71. DOI
Bogdanowicz W., Worobiec E., Grooms C., Kimpe L.E., Smol J.P., Stewart R.S., Suchecka E., Pomorski J.J., Blais J.M., Clare E.L., Fenton M.B. 2020. Pollen assemblage and environmental DNA changes: A 4300-year-old bat guano deposit from Jamaica. Quaternary International 558: 47–58. DOI
Dumont H.J., Pociecha A., Zawisza E., Szeroczyńska K., Worobiec E., Worobiec G. 2020. Miocene cladocera from Poland. Scientific Reports 10: 12107. DOI
Gedl P., Worobiec E. 2020. Origin and timing of palaeovalleys in the Carpathian Foredeep basement (Sędziszów Małopolski-Rzeszów area; SE Poland) in the light of palynological studies. Marine and Petroleum Geology 115: 104277. DOI
Kowalski R., Worobiec G., Worobiec E., Krajewska K. 2020. Oligocene plant assemblage from Rębiszów, Lower Silesia: First "volcanic flora" from Poland. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 65: 273–290. DOI
Worobiec E., Szulc J. 2020. Palynology of Oligocene lignites in two karst palaeosinkholes at Górażdże, Upper Silesia, Poland. Annales Societatis Geologorum Poloniae 90: 495–504. DOI
Worobiec G., Worobiec E. 2020. Lichenopeltella mizerniana sp. nov. from the upper Pliocene of Mizerna (southern Poland). Mycological Progress 19: 799–804. DOI
Worobiec G., Worobiec E. 2020. The whole plant concept of Reevesia from the Neogene of the Bełchatów Lignite Mine (central Poland). Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 273: 104145. DOI
Worobiec G., Worobiec E., Erdei B. 2020. Fossil callimothalloid fungi: Revised taxonomy, modern equivalents and palaeoecology. Fungal Biology 124: 835–844. DOI
Zdravkov A., Stefanova M., Worobiec E., Bechtel A., Marinov S., Kortenski J. 2020. Implications for peat formation in Maritsa-West Basin, SE Bulgaria: Insights from organic petrology, palynology and biomarker assemblage. International Journal of Coal Geology 222: 103447. DOI
Jurkowska A., Barski M., Worobiec E. 2019. The relation of a coastal environment to early diagenetic clinoptilolite (zeolite) formation – New data from the Late Cretaceous European Basin. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 524: 166–182. DOI
Worobiec G., Worobiec E. 2019. Wetland vegetation from the Miocene deposits of the Bełchatów Lignite Mine (central Poland). Palaeontologia Electronica 22.3.63. DOI
Kowalski R., Worobiec E. 2018. Revision of Comarostaphylis globula (Ericaceae) from Cenozoic of Central Europe. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology 254: 20–32. DOI
Płachno B.J., Jurkowska A., Pacyna G., Worobiec E., Gedl P., Świerczewska-Gładysz E. 2018. Plant assemblage from Opole, southern Poland: New data on Late Cretaceous vegetation of the northern part of the European Province. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association 129: 159–170. DOI
Worobiec E., Gedl P. 2018. Upper Eocene palynoflora from Łukowa (SE Poland) and its palaeoenvironmental context. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 492: 134–146. DOI
Worobiec G., Worobiec E., Liu Y.C. 2018. Fungal remains from late Neogene deposits at the Gray Fossil Site, Tennessee, USA. Mycosphere 9: 1014–1024. DOI
Szczepanek K., Myszkowska D., Worobiec E., Piotrowicz K., Ziemianin M., Bielec-Bąkowska Z. 2017. The long-range transport of Pinaceae pollen: an example in Kraków (southern Poland). Aerobiologia 33: 109–125. DOI
Worobiec G., Neumann F.H., Worobiec E., Nitz V., Hartkopf-Fröder C. 2017. New fungal cephalothecoid-like fructifications from central European Neogene deposits. Fungal Biology 121: 285–292. DOI
Worobiec G., Worobiec E. 2017. Epiphyllous fungi from Miocene deposits of the Bełchatów Lignite Mine (Central Poland). Mycosphere 8: 1003–1013. DOI
Gedl P., Worobiec E., Słodkowska B. 2016. Palynology of Lower Oligocene brown coal and lowermost Middle Miocene sand deposits from the Łukowa-4 borehole (Carpathian Foredeep, SE Poland) – implications for palaeogeographical reconstructions. Geological Quarterly 60: 943–958. DOI