In the Doctoral School of Natural and Agricultural Sciences education lasts four years but in justified cases, this time may be shortened to three or extended to six years. The doctoral student conducts research and participates in classes included in the education program, which include compulsory and optional classes. The doctoral student takes most of the compulsory classes in the first 4 semesters, i.e. until the mid-term evaluation. The next 4 semesters are intended primarily for the implementation of scientific research in accordance with an Individual Research Plan while supplementing knowledge and skills within optional classes. Education at the Doctoral School ends with the submission of a doctoral dissertation.
- Organization of the academic year 2020-2021PDF
- Programme of study and learning outcomes at the Doctoral SchoolPDF
- Systematics and evolutionism (only in Polish)PDF
- Ecology and nature conservationPDF
- Contemporary trends in plant cultivation (only in Polish)PDF
- Contemporary trends in animal husbandry (only in Polish)PDF
- Statistics (only in Polish)PDF
- Philosophy – its traditions and contemporaneityPDF
- Philosophy for biologists (only in Polish)PDF
Individual Research Plan
The doctoral student, in consultation with the supervisor, during the first twelve months of education at the doctoral school, prepares an Individual Research Plan to be submitted to the Doctoral School Council for approval. The Individual Research Plan defines the scope, framework, stages, and dates of the doctoral dissertation. The implementation of the Individual Research Plan is evaluated during the mid-term evaluation of the doctoral student and supervisor.
- Individual Research Plan templateDOC
- Report on the progress in implementation of the Individual Research Plan for the mid-term evaluation templateDOC
After each semester of studies, the doctoral student submits a report on his scientific activity and implementation of the study program and the Individual Research Plan. At the end of the academic year, the doctoral student participates in the Scientific Reporting Session to presents the results and progress in research.
The Doctoral School of Natural and Agricultural Sciences provides doctoral students, including foreigners, with a monthly scholarship paid for 4 years in the amount not lower than:
- 2372 PLN – by the month of the mid-term evaluation,
- 3654 PLN – after the month of the mid-term evaluation.
The Doctoral School, apart from the abovementioned scholarship, does not provide doctoral students, including foreigners, with any living services, such as accommodation or meals. Receiving a scholarship provided by the doctoral students does not prevent them from applying for scholarships from other funding sources (e.g. National Science Centre, Foundation for Polish Science, etc.).
Other Scholarships Opportunities
- National Science Centre
- Foundation for Polish Science
- Polish Academy of Sciences
- Ministry of Science and Education
- Polish-U.S. Fulbright Commission
- Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange
Act of 27 August 2004 on health care services financed from public funds, art. 86 sec. 1 points 6 and 14 (Journal of Laws of 2019, item 1373) obliges research units educating doctoral students to register for health insurance and pay the doctoral students' contribution:
- when the students concerned submit an appropriate declaration that they are not subject to obligatory health insurance on a different basis;
- when the students concerned are or will be educated in Poland and are considered persons of Polish origin within the meaning of the repatriation regulations or have a valid Pole's Card and are not subject to health insurance otherwise.
According to Art. 66 sec. 2 of the above Act, research units providing education for doctoral students are exempt from the obligation to insure a doctoral student who has the status of a family member of the insured person, i.e. who is:
- an own child, spouse's child, adopted child, grandson or a foreign child for whom care has been established, or a foreign child as part of a foster family or family orphanage until they turn 18, and if they continue their education at school, in an educational institution teachers, universities or research units conducting doctoral studies – until the age of 26, and if they have a certificate of severe disability or other conditions treated equally – no age limit;
- a spouse;
- ascendant staying with the insured in the same household.
More information (only in Polish) on the website of the Ministry of Science and Education.
Doctoral Students' Council
The Doctoral Students' Council is a body established to defend the rights of doctoral students, spread the idea of providing mutual assistance in scientific and legal matters, and integrate doctoral students by initiating various joint activities. The Doctoral Students’ Council actively participates in the work of the National Representation of Doctoral Students and the Doctoral Students' Council of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Edyta Mazur (Chairman)
- Marcin Wiorek (Deputy Chairman)
- Anna Misiewicz (Secretary)
- Julia Stachurska
- Alicja Wierzbicka
Student Affairs Office
Opening hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00–14:30; address: W. Szafer Institute of Botany PAS, Lubicz 46, 31-512 Kraków (Room 12).
Head of the Doctoral School
Dr Grażyna Szarek-Łukaszewska
Hours for students: Monday, 10:00–12:00; address: W. Szafer Institute of Botany PAS, Lubicz 46, 31-512 Kraków (Room 12).
Deputy Head of the Doctoral School
Dr Agnieszka Bednarska
Hours for students: Tuesday, 10:00–12:00; address: Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, Adama Mickiewicza 33, 31-120 Kraków.
- The Act of July 20, 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – W. Szafer Institute of Botany PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – Institute of Nature Conservation PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – Institute of Systematics and Evolution of Animals PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – F. Górski Institute of Plant Physiology PAS (only in Polish)
- Procedure for awarding the doctoral degree – National Research Institute of Animal Production (only in Polish)